Chocolate and Bacon Candies (Low Carb and Paleo Friendly)
I recently polled the Living Low Carb…One Day at a Time Facebook fans and asked “What’s better than bacon?” There were a ton of responses, but the most common answer was chocolate. I admit to loving chocolate just as much, if not more than bacon. To my surprise, a few followers suggested that the combination of bacon and chocolate is out of this world. I myself had never tried this “classic” low carb and paleo combination so I knew I had to give it a try. I ended up creating a delicious chocolate and bacon candy. The sweetness of the chocolate pairs nicely with the saltiness of the bacon. Sweet and salty makes a great combination!
So now I ask you, What’s better than bacon AND chocolate?
- 5 oz dairy free 85% or higher dark chocolate (I used this brand)
- 1/2 cup leftover bacon grease, melted (I strain my bacon grease through cheesecloth before storing)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 4 strips cooked pastured bacon, cut into small pieces
- Sweetener to taste (Liquid or powdered work best-I used powdered Swerve or for Paleo use honey)
- Start to melt the chocolate in a sauce pan over low heat.
- Add the bacon grease and coconut oil. Stir to combine.
- Add the sweetener, to taste.
- Line a mini muffin tin with 24 liners.
- Evenly distribute the bacon pieces among the 24 muffin cups.
- Fill each liner with the chocolate mixture.
- Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes or until set.
Net Carb Count*: Chocolate and Bacon Candies: 2.67 net carbs for 2 pieces (makes 24 pieces) *Note carb counts are estimated based on the products I used. Check nutrition labels for accurate carb counts and gluten information.